Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reasons I'm OK With the Proposed Federal Budget


The country is divided over this budget, some hate it, very few actually like it, and there doesn't seem to be anyone who is not affected.

I am a child of the 80's. My teenage and young adult working years were all spent under the leadership of John Howard, and in a period of relative political stability in Australia. With the exception of a small period during the GFC I have never really known interest rate pain such as that experianced by my parents. I am fortunate enough to have a family unit that includes two incomes, and a supportive extended family. And maybe this narrow window of life experiance influences how I feel about the budget.

I'm OK with it.

I see the proposed budget a little like my own attitude to my credit card. I wouldn't rest until I paid it off, because I want to live within my means and have something leftover to help others. In the case of sudden financial crisis, I want to respond quickly and with the least amount of pain. You can't truly do that if your budget is out of control.

I want to return quickly to a time when essential medical care is free and accessible by all. I want a prosperous country to hand over to my children, to support those in need, and to maintain a comfortable standard of living for my family.

There are some aspects I don't agree with or that I wish had been handled differently, but one thing stays constant for me. Australian politics annoy the shit out of me. It frustrates me that we attack politicians personally and defocus issues by putting the person under the microscope. I don't care if our Treasurer makes a snotty comment about the cost of people smoking while also being filmed chugging away at a cigar. I feel like that is being dragged to my attention to make me feel differently about this budget, and I wish the media would just focus on how individuals will be impacted and what support is still out there.

I won't break it down for anyone. Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably have a good idea on how you are affected. In case you are not across it, here are a few sources that I have appreciated over the last week or so:

Money Mummy: The Federal Budget 2014. What does it mean for your family
Kylie Ofiu: The Federal Budget. How to survive despite it!
AMP: Federal Budget Summary
News.com.au: Federal Budget 2014. Calculate exactly what it means for you
Sydney Morning Herald: Federal Budget 2014. Where will your tax dollars go?

For those people who are going to find life and finances more painful as a result of this budget, I truly hope that when the purse strings loosen again, that it is those in need that are supported first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!