Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Keeping On Top of The Plumbing

This post brought to you in partnership with Sydney Emergency Plumbing. The topic and platform to write are my own, and so I bring you my thoughts on how effective plumbing supports us with our rental property.

My beautiful colourful bathroom, I miss my bright yellows!
One of the things that drives me crazy in this current rental property we are in is the plumbing. The kids bathroom smells weird sometimes, and there is a leak some where in the toilet that can't be attributed to Lorelei's toilet training. While they resolved the kitchen tap leak quickly enough, the landlords just don't seem to be interested in my weird smell or puddle. And I can forget getting hot water connected in the laundry, it simply isn't going to happen.

These little irritants are bizarre to me. As a landlord myself, one of the first things I did when putting my home on the market was to organise a plumber. While it was important to me to have the home certified so I could charge my tenant for water usage, I also wanted the house to be in top condition for handover. There's nothing worse than feeling like you are living in a temporary house, I want my tenants to feel like it's their home.

Decent water pressure and temperatures, water saving solutions to help them keep their water bills down, functioning quality tap ware and pipes that don't irritate with noises, stiffness, or lack of function, these things are important to me in the home I live in, so it's important to me in the home I provide someone else.

Looking around at the disarray that we see in so many aspects of the home we rent, I also see the importance of ongoing maintenance for my own rental. Each time our agent does a house inspection, we ask them to keep an eye on the little things that might need some servicing, gutters, plumbing, light fixtures, hinges, things that our tenant might feel like they are imposing to ask for, but things we feel responsible for and want to keep on top of. I don't want to end up in a place where a house that I own becomes run down due to lack of care, especially since I'm not there to keep an eye on it myself anymore. I'd be devastated if there was a major pipe burst and the house that I raised my oldest daughter in suffered significant damage.

Annoyingly enough, we seem to have given more thought and care in how we look after the home, for someone else. I can't imagine how much money we might have saved ourselves over the years if we had only had the plumber in earlier to take care of leaks and install water saving devices. Taking a look around the Sydney Emergency Plumbing blog for some tips and idea's, I noticed they suggest a savings of 10% on average per bill after dealing with a leak! With my usual eye on finances, I'm not sure why I never did it except it was one of those things that didn't occur to me till I had to get the house ready to hand over to someone else!

Do you take care of leaks straight away or is something that gets away from you?

If you are looking for a new plumber, my favourite feature over at Sydney Emergency Plumbing is their "On time or you get a discount" guarantee! I've taken too much time off work in 2014 dealing with delayed air con technicians not to value that kind of commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!