Friday, January 24, 2014

Memories of Madeleine #8




Mummy Hearts Money is sharing 13 memories of my biggest little girl, in tribute to her 13th birthday this month. Most of these stories are "Have to be there" kind of memories, but I love them, they make me smile.

When Maddy was 5, she and my niece spent a year learning to do a tap dance duet together. The two little girls were the cutest thing in the world, and their poor tap teacher had the hardest time getting them to pay attention because all they wanted to do was tippy tap all around the room, holding each others hands and swinging around in circles.

The day came when they were finally ready to perform at their first eisteddfod - ready being a stretch, but how ready can x2 5 year olds be?

Their teacher waited with baited breathe at the back of the hall with us, these tiny little tappers were all on their own on that massive stage and I was torn between pride that they knew this cute little "Hey Mickey" dance, and terror that they would get scared on stage and I wouldn't be there to hug them.

At first the dance went really well, the 2 girls stomping around the stage and clunking their tapping feet around with a certain amount of coordination, but then the heart stopping unthinkable thing happened. One girl stopped dancing for a split second and looked at the other.

The other stopped in response. For what seemed like an eternity, but was in reality more like 20 seconds the two looked at each other, one shrugging at the other as if to say "I don't know what next, don't look at me?"

I nearly died At the back of that school hall, I started swinging my legs frantically, willing the girls to look at me and see me stomping around at the back and pick up their cues.

Finally Madeleine tentatively swung her leg, and her cousin picked up the cue picking up the step and running with it. Hundreds of parents breathed a collective sigh of relief for their cute little tappers.

Hilariously enough the girls not only scored stupidly high (sympathy vote) not only winning their section but also later getting a massive trophy for the 2nd best overall routine in the junior section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!