Friday, January 17, 2014

Memories of Madeleine #5



Mummy Hearts Money is sharing 13 memories of my biggest little girl, in tribute to her 13th birthday this month. Most of these stories are "Have to be there" kind of memories, but I love them, they make me smile.

There are some people who may describe my parenting style with Madeleine as Helicopter parenting - always hovering to make sure nothing goes wrong in her life.

I prefer to think of it as leech parenting, never letting her out of my sight. Admittedly, this is working less well the older she gets. As she develops a strong, mature personality, so to does her tolerance for my involvement in her life get thinner.

After 10 years of being my only child, the one and only princess I could ever imagine having, little Lorelei came along, changing the dynamic of our family forever. Just as with Maddy, I was fiercely protective of Lolly, and when Madeleine wanted to hold our floppy little newborn, she needed to sit down to cradle her. I wasn't comfortable with her picking her up directly from the floor or bed, and definitely wasn't comfortable with her walking around while holding her.

After all, Lorelei was a fragile newborn, and Madeleine was my sweet little girl who didn't understand about the delicate nature of a newborns head or neck. This was explained time and time again, and despite Maddy's protests, she had to sit down to cuddle her baby sister.

One day I took advantage of Lolly's daytime nap to have one myself. Only hovering on the edge of sleep, I woke up when Lolly started to stir and went from drooling and groggy to alert and panicking in seconds.

Madeleine was standing next to the crib, holding her baby sister and jiggling her gently up and down. My heart in my mouth I started to tear across the room to snatch up my wee one before she could be dropped on her head, but Madeleine's self assurance stopped me. She was determined to let me have my nap, and wanted to make her little sister comfortable when she started to grizzle, so copied what she had seen me do.

Why would I want to stop that? In that second my little girl grew up, in my eyes at least. No longer did I see her as my little girl, barely past her toddler years, now I could see her as my big girl, only a few years away from high school and teenage years. She was so proud of herself and determined to prove that she was more than capable of giving comfort to her sister. 

I don't care how old she gets, how capable, how self assured. She will always be my little fat, roly poly baby.

1 comment:

  1. That's lovely. Hope you print it out so she can read it one day when she's older.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!