Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Memories of Madeleine #2



Mummy Hearts Money is sharing 13 memories of my biggest little girl, in tribute to her 13th birthday this month. Most of these stories are "Have to be there" kind of memories, but I love them, they make me smile.

I'm a bit of a stickler on a few things. Some may call it picky, others may call it nagging, I call it gentle direction.

One thing that is a particular bugbear for me is when people substitute 'ffff' for 'ttthh". I hate it. I really hate it. It sets my teeth on edge, and if I'm close enough to the person who does it, I correct them.

"I have something caught in my teef." TEETH. Yes, you do have something caught in your teeth.

"My daughter is free." No. She isn't. She's three. Say it with me. THREE.

You might be reading this and wanting to punch  me in the face. I wouldn't blame you. When I correct someone, sometimes I feel like punching me in the face too.

When Madeleine was a just a little thing of 3, once she has gotten past natural little girl lisping, I would start to correct her if she used the sound "ffff" incorrectly. Not in a mean way, just helping her say the word right because when you're just little you have no way of knowing which way is right until you are told.  Sometimes I would need to direct her chin so that she was looking at me, while I repeated the word with emphasis on the "ttthh". She never got in trouble or anything, it was a little correction, she would repeat herself and the conversation would continue.

One day in our beat up old Ford wagon, I noticed that the roof lining of the car was collapsing, the adhesive had given way in the Summer heat. As I laughed and held it up while buckling her into her seat, I told Maddy that the roof was falling, just like the sky in Chicken Little. She gravely grasped my chin, and turned it towards her, looking me intently in the eyes.

"It's rooTH Mummy. Say it with me. ROOTH. TTTHHH, not FFFF."

I stopped correcting her for a little while. Touche baby.

5 comments:

  1. Haha that's priceless! What a gorgeous girl! xxx xx Lucy from Bake Play Smile #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha love it - but me thinks you might have given her a wee complex! My son tells me off and says naughty mummy when I upset him, hence I have stopped saying the N word.
    My pet hate is when people say, "it's a real nice day" not it's FUGGING NOT - it's a "really" nice day. GRRRR - Emily :) visiting as part of #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Madeleine.
    Oh my friend used to always correct me for that ...I was 20 ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thats hilarious. I have to stop myself from correcting people when they ask for something and dont say please. Sometimes I just blurt it out without thinking, then I'm like oh crap, but it always works. They always say please and then say sorry. My problem is I correct them when they're not even talking to me, whoops.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!