Thursday, January 30, 2014

Memories of Madeleine #12



Mummy Hearts Money is sharing 13 memories of my biggest little girl, in tribute to her 13th birthday this month. Most of these stories are "Have to be there" kind of memories, but I love them, they make me smile.

Way way back, as early as Kindergarten, I was hearing about Max.

"Max touches my hair Mummy" "He tries to follow me into the bathroom" "He has to ask why about everything" "He always wants to look at everything I'm doing" "My teacher says Max is just being curious".

That last phrase was the sticking one. As more and more stories about Max came home, the explanation was always that Max was just being curious. Sometimes Max did things differently to other kids, or he behaved in a way that seemed odd. Sometimes other kids picked on him, and while Maddy quite liked him she was a little disturbed that he seemed to "LIKE like" her.

Somehow or another they were in the same class most years and Max remained a constant in our lives. Through all the other ways that Maddy changed at school, new friends, new fashions, new games, new teachers, her appreciation for Max didn't change.

When year 6 finally rolled to and end and Maddy was going through all her Christmas cards, one in particular got pride of place. Max's card not only had his Christmas greetings but a note from his mother thanking her for her friendship. Maddy was tickled because only she and her best friend had this little extra special note along with a little gift, and like all tweens, she loved the specialness of being singled out.

I didn't get to see much of Max, but it occurs to me that if his mother felt the need to write a note like that, than Max must have had a bit of a rough time at school. I'm really really glad that Maddy is the kind of kid that will give the Maxes in life a chance, because some kids just walk a tougher road than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!