Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Best Nights Sleep Ever

This post was written in partnership with Sleepmaker, who are personally responsible for my comfortable nights sleep. I hold them fully acountable to it, and for the last 3 years they have been delivering.

Our bed is a favourite photo spot for us - our photographer
is Reflections by Louise - we love her work!
I was 19 when I had Maddy. I barely noticed the pregnancy and bounced blissfully through the 9 months going out dancing, to the gym and mostly wearing the same clothes as I had before I got pregnant. Truthfully, the pregnancy barely registered on my radar.

Fast forward 10 years to my pregnancy with Lorelei and it was a very different story. Besides the chronic 9 months worth of vomiting, I also had back pain. Horrible, keep me awake at night and give me no comfortable position to sleep in, back pain.

Work was awesome and gave me a special, extra comfortable, office chair to use. It made the long work days tolerable, but night times found me tossing and turning every night, suddenly feeling every last spring, lump and bump in our mattress.

The same mattress we had bought for $100 10 years earlier with my first skimpy tax return. $100 from some dodgy little factory on the side of the road that wasn't there the day before and was gone the day after. I don't even want to think about where my mattress came from but while it did the job for the first 10 years of our lives together, it was a nightmare once I became pregnant.

We mixed around the mattresses in our home a little and eventually I found a smidgen of relief sleeping on Maddy's newer, better quality, single bed mattress. So she slept on the foam one that came with her trundle, and I slept on her mattress on the floor next my queen size bed for a few months, but even that wasn't perfect. Not even a little bit impressed to find me sleeping on the floor and having to heave me up each morning Husband began a campaign to get me to agree to spend some money on a new mattress for the two of us. It wasn't easy, because with the prospect of unpaid maternity leave looming, I wasn't too keen to dip into the savings for a little comfort at night time, especially since I didn't think my mattress was that bad. Surely it was just the pregnancy, right? It was only a few more months, and then my back wouldn't ache so much. I could put up with lumps in the back when I wasn't pregnant, definitely.

Somehow or another, he dragged me into a bed shop one day and insisted on me having a lie down on a demo mattress.

Oh my god. All my protests went out the window, and suddenly I was more than happy to spend whatever it took to get one of these mattresses into my home. We spent a happy hour lying on mattresses, taking the various firmness's very seriously and generally enjoying ourselves in the store.

Who knew that mattresses came with a pillow top cushioning? Or that they could be soft, firm, or somewhere in between? Or that HEY, springs jutting out was not the way of things after all!

Eventually we settled on a plush, luxurious beast of a bed with a lovely soft pillowtop that was a previous years range and the last in stock, so was of course marked down significantly. Just the way I like it. I will say that our mattress purchase was over $1,000, although I can't remember exactly how much it was. I could never before have imagined spending that kind of money on myself for a mattress but it was the best money I ever spent.

Our Sleepmaker mattress came with a 10 year manufacturers warranty, which is exactly the kind of thing I love, but after a little chat with our sales rep we found out that in order to claim on the warranty at any time, we needed to have kept a mattress protector on it at all times in order to maintain a clean and hygienic bed. Fair enough, so a bamboo protector was thrown into the purchase for free as we paid cash overall.

Yet another photoshoot on our bed, why not? It's the most
comfortable place in the house!
That night was the best nights sleep I had in months. It took about 72 hours, but my back pain went away, only returning sometimes at the end of a long work day hunched over my desk. My only problem was that during my pregnancy, and for a few weeks of recovery after the c-section, I couldn't get out of the damn bed! It was so plush, soft, and high, that I was a bit like a turtle wriggling on its back trying to get up. Husband still had to pull me out for a little longer.

It's been almost 3 years since I bought that mattress. I am very fond of that mattress, and have not had an uncomfortable nights sleep since. I see no reason why we would ever claim on the warranty either, because each time I take off the protector to wash it, the mattress underneath looks perfect. I am never. EVER. Going back to a nasty roadside warehouse mattress again.

Sleepmaker helps provide you with the best mattress to suit you and your family’s needs. With a personalised mattress selector tool and a range of different mattress technologies available, Sleepmaker gives you the perfect night’s sleep.

16 comments:

  1. We spend almost half our life in bed, it's definitely worth the investment to get a good mattress. I love my bed. The one we finally caved and went to a proper mattress store to buy, rather than just the cheap one at a furniture shop! -Aroha (for #teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a difference! It was one of those "you never know what you don't know" moments for me. I had no idea just how bad my mattress was till I laid on a good one.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love my bed and it is so important to get a good sleep - so it is definitly a worth while investment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A decent mattress is something I will 100% invest in from now on. Am thinking I should be upgrading Miss 12's mattress soon but might wait till we upgrade her to a BIG big girl bed lol (she wants a double)

      Delete
  3. I keep saying that we need to get a new mattress. We finally ditched the water bed, THE WORST when you're pregnant, I couldn't bloody get out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol We tried a waterbed and I was flapping around completely stuck. I couldn't even roll over! The pillowtop was hard enough

      Delete
  4. A good mattress solves everything!! Congrats on finding the perfect bed....it can take years for that to happen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a few weeks I thought I had made a HUGE mistake with the plush pillowtop, I struggled so much to actually get out of the bed, but now that I am used to it I LOVE it! Will never go back. Thanks for coming by xx I tried to find your website to have a look but couldn't see it on your google+? If you come back leave me the details :)

      Delete
  5. There's nothing quite like a great mattress is there? I love when we come home from holidays and collapse into our bed. It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say I haven't had a bad night due to discomfort since. And I think my insomnia is improved now, as now it's only nights when there is too much in my head that I can't sleep instead physical issues as well

      Delete
  6. No place like bed really is there. Glad you have found a sanctuary in you're mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an eye opener this post has been for me. Very much appreciated, bookmarked, I can’t wait for more!
    whats memory foam made of

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for this brilliant post! Many points have extremely useful. Hopefully you'll continue sharing your knowledge around.
    whats memory foam made of

    ReplyDelete
  9. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    mattress deals Memorial day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three years since the purchase, and it's still in its perfect condition? That’s great! I’m glad it helped you with the back pain. Your undisturbed nights of sleep are the proof that you were sleeping on the right kind of mattress; not only does it provide you comfort, but it also has the right balance to support your back. Cheers!

    Sevak Khudanyan @ Glendale Mattress

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fantastic content, and I would like more details if you have any. I am interested with this subject and your publish has been one of the best I have read. laborie medical technologies jobs

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!