Friday, December 27, 2013

A Christmas for Everyone

Christmas Day was a little surreal this year. It's the first time I can remember EVER not spending at least part of it with my own family.

One by one this year I found my family each dropping off the Christmas radar, someone's put out, someone made other plans at the last second, someone else isn't functioning too well, and another family is in another state altogether.

And yet the usual Christmas dinner that I host was still fun, but in a different way. Instead of my usual family, I had an eclectic group of peole that grew and grew from about midday Christmas Eve. I found found myself sitting down for dinner with Muslims, Catholics, & Jews in addition to my own Christian background. 

I don't normally think too much about our  various religious backgrounds but it made me smile to see us all come together for this holiday. 

Whatever your religious beliefs, I hope you are enjoying this break with people you care about. xx

Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Eid Mubarak :) Whichever celebration works best for you.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I know I'm, like, 4 months late to the party - But in case you find yourself in the same situation this year -

    Spending Christmas with my family is never an option (they all live halfway around the world). We used to spend Christmas with hubby's family. But six years ago we had the Nuclear Christmas from Hell. It was bad. It was worse than bad. I'm pretty sure that year Satan himself looked at our extended family and thought, "Nah, this is above my pay grade." By the time the whole ugly mess was over, we knew we'd never spend Christmas with those people again. In fact, we haven't even spoken to some of those people since - which might seem harsh, but might seem less harsh when I say that their final demand was that we expose our baby to a serious air-borne contagious disease. Yeah. I don't care if you're Mother Teresa - hell, I don't care if you're my own mother - I don't love anyone enough to put my child's health at risk, just so you feel better.

    Anyway, by the time December 24th rolled around, I just wanted to cancel the whole sorry mess. And I LOVE Christmas. I mean, I'm already planning for Christmas 2015. Oh, who am I kidding? I have presents for my kids stashed away for 2018. Yeah. I'm that person. But that year, I just wanted to cancel it all.

    Then my husband came up with The Best Christmas Tradition. No stress, and all fun. We all get to choose a favourite food, and that's what we have for Christmas dinner. It might be all desserts. It might be fruit and cheese. It might be three mains. It doesn't matter - everyone gets to eat their favourite food on Christmas.

    It's awesome and fun and relaxed and simple. It takes all the stress out of it. It's lovely, and it gives us time to focus on each other, instead of spending half the day in the kitchen stressing that the turkey is too dry.

    Anyway, Christmas did get better for us - the following year we had our very own Christmas Eve bundle of joy. Everyone says, "Oh that poor kid," to which I reply, "'That poor kid' is always going to get whatever he wants for his birthday, because he's my 'get out of Christmas with the inlaws' excuse for LIFE!" A Christmas Eve baby means we don't spend the day before Christmas doing anything but celebrating him - which means everything has to be done by 23 December, which means we truly do have the most relaxing Christmases, ever. (And Santa always gets birthday cake instead of cookies.)

    So those are my two red-hot Christmas tips: Go with something fun and unexpected for your Christmas meal, and have a Christmas Eve baby. Or at least make sure everything is done by the 23rd, so you can really enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol better late than never! I LOVE your Christmas idea of favourite foods, that's terrific, although there is no WAY I going to have another baby just to bag myself a Chrissie Eve bub lol. Thanks for commenting xx

      Delete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!