Friday, November 15, 2013

FFS Friday: The No Sleep Edition


I'm ready to die. Or kill someone. Maybe both.

My toddler has the shittiest sleeping habits ever FFS. At night I spend easily 2 hours or more getting her to fall asleep, only to have her wake sometimes at stupid o'clock ready to start the day.

And because she is the most evil toddler God ever put on this earth, as long as she is awake, I am awake. I'd waken to find her cooking a playdoh pie in the oven, or cutting off her sisters hair otherwise FFS.

Each night we do the bath, book, massage, bed thing together and she is actually quite responsive. Snuggly, sleepy, relaxed. But once the lights go out, the kids revs up like a Chihuahua on steroids FFS.

She chatters, tosses, turns, kicks, plays with anything (body, pillow, drink bottle), and is generally wide awake FFS

And if you try to leave her to it to self settle she would still be going on at midnight FFS. Coming out of her room, playing out of bed, playing in the bathroom, climbing into 1 year old Sebastian's cot FFS

And so instead I stay with her each night as the only way of getting her to settle eventually. 2 hours each night, eaten up FFS

If I try to delegate the task to Husband occasionally he falls asleep almost straight away, leaving the toddler to her own nefarious devices FFS

It's not that I mind a little cuddle and one on one time with my littlest girl. But I am going to bed after midnight every night once the evenings wind down activities are out of the way FFS

And some nights the little psycho sweetie is awake again at 3, 4 o'clock FFS

Wide, functioning, awake. Chattering, playing, wanting breakfast awake FFS.

I sort of impose a lie down rule as I doze next to her, but the reality is we are both awake until the alarms go off at 5:30 FFS

Functioning on less than 3 hours sleep I get up to start the mornings routine, a routine that doesn't really allow for a toddler underfoot. If I want to get out the door on time when she is awake, I need to be getting up at 5am FFS

And because she is hyper and loud in the mornings, Sebastian usually wakes up demanding attention too FFS

To add insult to injury, once she is in the car on the way to daycare or Teta's for the day she falls back to a deep sleep, prepared to sleep now for 3-4 hours FFS

And of course she is distraught and tantrummy at being woken at the other end, unable to cope as you would expect from a 2 year old operating on 5 hours night sleep FFS

Got settling suggestions for me? Resettling suggestions? More than open to them. As I suck back my second cup of coffee for the morning already. Because I can see already this is going to be a 6 cup+ kind of day.


Dear Baby G

2 comments:

  1. It's just a phase!! I have no helpful tips, my 2eldest went through stages like this. Drove me nuts but eventually they started sleeping normally. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing! My 2 1/2 still doesn't sleep through the night so I'm not much help. I have noticed that since he dropped his daytime nap he is a lot easier to get to sleep at night. I've also found that giving him a good runaround in the afternoon helps, even if I just chase him around the lounge room or we put some music on and dance, anything to get rid of some energy.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!