Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Decorate Your Home On A Budget


We lived in our old home for almost 10 years, and after all that time we had furniture purchased to suit the room, and accessories to match my beautiful bright coloured walls.

It was a real wrench when we made the decision to move into a rental earlier this year, and much as I love my new home, one thing grates.

The walls. The horrible, painted solid but not chosen by me, coloured walls. 2 of the kids have a deep plum feature wall, 1 has a bright blue feature wall, and the master has a grungy poop colour.

The only person happy is the blue loving tween. The rest of us are tolerating the walls.

Blech. And even worse, the main living room, the showcase room of my home, the room I welcome all guest into, has a brown feature wall. Brown.

Since all my accessories and furniture were bought to go with my lovely yellow walls with teal and blue accessories, I had a little problem. So we've had to do a real piece of work overhauling the room, but of course we had a budget to work with!

But this is more or less what we came up with, our inspiration for completing the room.



Here are my tips for accessorising a living room:

1. Couch covers can make a world of difference. So much cheaper than buying a new couch, a good couch cover can change the whole look of your furniture and tie it in better to the colours you are working with. And best of all, it can camouflage an old couch in bad condition to buy it a few more years, or protect a new couch during the toddler demolition years! Win/win. We chose a tan colour to neutralise our deep blue couches.

2. A handful of new bright cushion covers bring some blush into the room. We went with a few aqua colours that had scatterings of chocolate brown through them. Now I'm not living in a chocolate factory but the colours work together.

3. A new rug serves to hide that nasty rental carpet, and just like the cushions can introduce additional colours to the room. Rugs go on sale often, watch out for discounts as high as 50% off. Besides hiding the rental carpet it also PROTECTS the rental carpet, minimising the need for expensive carpet cleaning when you move.

4. When it comes to frames on shelving, less is more. A handful of interesting memories are much more of a topic starter with visitors than a smooshed in series of professional or school portraits.

5. But when it comes to pictures on walls, MORE is more! One big statement piece in a focal wall in the room gets everyone talking! Pick your favourite family picture and have it put on canvas big as life. Our canvas is almost as wide as our couch, and it looks great.

6. One or two accessories in your alternate colour finish off the room. A lamp, a vase, maybe a ceramic animal or two and the room is done.

No need to replace all the furniture or repaint the room, it's possible to stamp yourself on a rental without breaking the bank.

This post was sponsored by Nick Scali. For those of you that love a good giveaway, head to their Facebook page where they run a fan of the week promotion EVERY WEEK for your chance to win a $100 voucher. The opinions are my own but as always I jump at the chance to write about something new and earn some money towards #DPCON14

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Such handy tips on how to make a space yours on a budget. We had some shockers when we were renting. Lucky now all our walls are white - boring but non offensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, it is always hard when you are renting. I actually repainted some the rooms in my rental as they were gross. I prefer bland walls and bright accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with more on the walls! I can't wait to get start on my blank canvas of new extension. I also don't like alot of clutter. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. Brown walls are pretty hard to dress up. I only found your blog today and am loving the practical information and money saving tips! Cheers, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are busy de-cluttering now before moving - I am definitely going to be painting when we move but instead of going with lots of colour, I'm going to go with more neutrals and then add colour with accessories. Thanks for some great tips here.
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours you have chosen as your inspiration - my favourites - especially the aqua / turquoise! And yes, why is it that why we always seem to move house just as we have got our current home styled just the way we wanted it?!

    Visiting today from #teamIBOT xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these ideas! I'm a big fan of feature cushions... inexpensive and make such a huge difference! xx Lucy from Bake Play Smile

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never was a fan of feature walls. I tend to think they make a room look smaller. Those cushions are gorgeous. I love that colour blue at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep it is all about the accessories that make a house a home. Great tips! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cushions. They can change the feel of a room in an instant. When I want some fresh colour, I change the cushions.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The couch cover tip is a great tip. It actually never occurred to me before! Much more economical than buying a whole new couch

    ReplyDelete
  12. We rent too and and so have to deal with colours we wouldn't choose. I'm hoping I can convince the landlords to repaint soon though, and in a much nicer colour!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!