Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chicken Mince Sausage Rolls

I wrote recently about my experience with both turkey and chicken mince, and promised to share the sausage roll recipe I used.


These tasted so delicious, and I am stoked that I managed to sneak some spinach into them. The tightarse in me was so impressed that there is actually a legit and tasty use for celery leaves, so now whenever I am using celery for something else, I will chop up the leaves and freeze them for using in sausage rolls some time.

The recipe:

Ingredients:

500 grams of chicken mince
1/4 cup of chopped celery leaves
100 grams of chopped spinach
1 chopped and deseeded red chilli
1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
1 diced onion
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
3 sheets of thawed puff pastry

High in protein? Tick. High in iron? Tick. Seriously yummy? Tick, tick, TICK!


1. Preheat oven to 200 C. (Fan forced)
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (excluding 1/2 your beaten egg mixture).
3. Divide into 3 snakes, and lay down the middle of each puff pastry sheet. Fold the mixture into the middle of the pastry, using the remainder of the beaten egg to seal the edges.

It is possible that in the absense of the proper instrument I may
have resorted to using a paint brush to seal the pastry with egg

4. Cut each pastry roll into 4 smaller rolls
5. Place on wire rack and cook for 20-25 minutes



Devour with tomato sauce.



***Thanks to Steggles for putting me on a mission to try out some different ways of using chicken and turkey mince***

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elise - thanks for posting - they look fab and get bonus points on the vege front! I will definitely try them out this week and let you know how I go. Thanks Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, will try my hand at making them too.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!