Sunday, May 19, 2013

There Were 10 in the Bed and the Little One Said...

Lolly "helping" Dad put
Sebs cot together
New house, new beds.

Both my babies have upgraded their beds this month. Along with the move to a new house and into bedrooms of their own, both have graduated beds. Lorelei has gone from cot to toddler bed, and Seb has made the long overdue move from crib to cot.

Seb pretty much had his head and feet touching both ends of the crib, and had a habit of hooking both his legs on each side to lift himself up into the air to unwrap himself. He should have gone into a cot a few months ago, but it was in storage and it took us longer to move from the granny flat to a place of our own than I expected.

I take alot of pleasure in making up their beds for the first time, even though they never look this cute again!


















Lolly just turned 2 last week, so I wasn't 100% sure that she was ready to make the move to a toddler bed yet, but while we were on holidays she kept climbing out of her portacot so I figured I may as well give it a whirl at home. The last thing I want is her working out how to climb out of the cot and falling down to hurt herself!

The first 3 nights were brilliant and I was patting myself on the back for having such a well behaved toddler! She'd jump into bed, I'd give her a kiss, and that was the last I would see of her for the night. Clearly, I am a fabulous parent.

Wrong.

Night 4 came, and as I was settling down with Husband on the couch to watch some Game of Thrones (loving this show, can't believe it has taken me this long to find it!), I heard the pitter patter of little feet running down the hallway. Seconds later she burst into the lounge room with a cheery "hello baby!' (unfortunately she has picked this up from her father!) and bounded onto the couch in between us.

So much for my fabulous parenting. It took another 2 weeks of consistent settling and bedtime routine before she has started to get in bed and stay in bed at night.We are reading her a book in bed each night, and at one point I was sitting quietly in the corner for an hour till she fell asleep. Yay, that's no longer necessary, because there is so much I can be doing with that precious, all kids asleep, time each night. Unpacking some of the never ending boxes for starters.

Fortunately she is now staying in bed each night with no drama's but it took persistence! She has fallen out of bed twice though, despite the safety rail. I have found her each time crouching on the floor, bewildered and upset, but still half asleep. Poor bubba gets a kiss and cuddle and I settle her back into bed.

 Seb on the other hand is a whole other problem. Now that he has so much room, he is rocking and rolling all over the bed and I can't keep him wrapped long enough to fall asleep! I'm going to have to invest in another swaddleme soon I think, because the little monkey thinks its hysterical when we come and scold him and try to rewrap him.

The ideal nighttime situation
What actually keeps happening
Oh well, will keep trying and in the meantime it gives us lots of giggles.

Did your kids make the transition to new beds easily? Or did they put you through lots of night time fun as well?

2 comments:

  1. I just found this entertaining blog of yours and find myself curiously although joyously reading through your posts. Elise you're a hoot. Love you to bits. Keep em coming Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so glad you found it! I love writing knowing that people I love are reading xx

      Delete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!