Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Port Stephens and the Big Move


Would you go for a free shark scuba experience at
the Shark and Ray Feeding place? I wonder what
they feed the sharks.....

Its been a massive school holidays for us in our household with a weeks stay in Port Stephens and then the big move the day after we returned.

The holiday was fabulous, with beautiful weather the whole time. I'd definitely take the kids back to Port Stephens again sometime. Here's a quick summary in photo's.







Got to make special mention of Red Neds Gourmet pie shop in Nelsons Bay who have made a business out of slopping leftovers into pastry - 50+ pie varieties. I tried out the Spag Bol pie and hubby gave the green thai curry pie a whirl. Neither of us was game to try the crocodile pie.

The move however, was disastrous. I meant to write a FFS Friday post about it, but just couldn't get the energy together on time. If it could go wrong, it did.

It coincided with my first day in a new part time job so I couldn't justify a sickie already.

We meant to load up a small truck together the night before, and have husband unload the contents of our granny flat in time for me to finish work and help out with the unpacking at 3pm. The plan was to have everything ready to go for the kids to sleep in their own beds that night. We would worry about the 3/4 of our belongings in storage later.

Husbands father decided to rally my 10 million brother in laws to help with the move. And of course he thought it was a better idea to move EVERYTHING in one hit. And since I wasn't around to insist I didn't get any say in the matter. Coordinating that many relatives was always guaranteed to fail.

It was 6pm before the truck turned up along with all the BIL's and my kids. By 8pm all my belongings were stacked up in the double garage or strewn semi randomly about the house. Everyone waved cheerio and left me wondering how to feed and bed my children that night. Husband was in a foul temper and not inclined to take my whining about the change of plans.

4 days later I am still searching for the things I need most and keep turning up random crap that I was happy to have stored for a year or two.

Aaaargh. 

On the plus side, I was invited to a cooking demonstration that I attended yesterday with my sister in law Salwa. Anyone that knows me will be splitting their sides laughing at the idea of me attending a cooking demonstration, but there is a fabulous post in it so you will have to wait to hear more. Watch this space.

Linking for love

9 comments:

  1. You should know by now that nothing ever goes to plan with my family.
    I love nelsons bay and would have happily moved up their if husband didn't suggest wollongong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous - we took the ferry over and had the best day just wandering around. I could have handled visiting you at Nelsons Bay a couple of times a year. If you forced me ;)

      Delete
  2. Frustrating that the move didn't go as planned. I hope it doesn't take long to get everything sorted out/unpacked/packed away. Moving is so stressful! We've moved heaps, but last time hired professionals to do it, and it was *awesome*. Will never move ourselves again!-Aroha (#teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, the idea of professionals. Hang on, this mob of family of mine have all done professional removals at different times. Bunch of ametuers lol

      Delete
  3. That sucks about the move but at least you had a nice little holiday. My family used to go to Nelson Bay once a year ( we had an aunt and uncle we stayed with ) and now my hubby and I would like to do the same with our kids. We were even lucky enough to score accommodation down there this coming Xmas holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. Nelsons Bay at Christmas should be beautiful, you have to try out Red Neds! THe pies were pricey, but definately something yummy as a change

      Delete
  4. I had no idea you were related to Salz!! That's awesome!
    Frustrating about the move though. I hate moving with a passion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't really help it. She married my oldest brother. Gotta put up with her ;P

      Delete
    2. Its not as awesome as you would think. She can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. I let her tag along like the good big sister I am

      Delete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!