Tuesday, April 9, 2013

It takes a village to raise a child......

I've heard that phrase more times than I can count. But now I live in my own little village granny flat out the back of the in-laws it makes more sense.

Even on the days when I have best intentions of not taking advantage of the Grandparents living only 5 meters away, Lorelei overrides them by calling out from the door to one or the other. Of course they can't resist her. I can't count the amount of times one of them will come to collect her. Daily. Possibly hourly. Who's keeping track.

I should care more. Instead I am enjoying a little down time from active parenting and loving that my toddler gets so much pleasure out of her her time with them.

And let's face it, my swing pushing time has an expiry. I will usually bring her back in to feed Sebastian, make dinner, or just because I plain old got bored. After all, she is happy to go for hours, me, not so much.

Teta on the other hand seems to have infinite time for swing pushing. Sucker.


Or maybe I shouldn't say pushing. I mean pulling. Teta has tied a rope to the swing and kicks back with a cuppa while Lolly happily rocks back and forth. Genius I tell you.

What genius idea's do the oldies pull out in your kids lives?
Linking up to With Some Grace for FYBF! Check out some awesome reading material

18 comments:

  1. hahahaha. Lebanese ingenuity at its best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mum is pure gold Salz, I have to try and dig out the photo of the 'swing' on the veranda in Lebanon that Deena showed me once

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! Wish my parents were closer (and not so busy) :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be moving out soon - Even though we have been very 'cosy' (read squished!) I will miss living here

      Delete
  3. Found you via FYBF - and my husband and I are just about to take a two kids and move in with my parents, not into a granny flat but into the actual house. I will freely admit I am looking forward to having an extra two sets of hands to help with pour 3 yr old and 8 month old...and who knows, I may just get a sleep in once and a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best, although I'm not sure I'd feel that way if we were sharing a house.....having my own space has still been important. I'm going to miss those extra hands when we move out

      Delete
  4. OMG Teta is a freakin GENIUS!!!!!!!!! GENIUS!!!!! I am rigging myself up a contraption just like that one!! GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol the rope is so coming with us when we move!

      Delete
  5. Ingenuis , my MIL lived with us for 6yrs while my son was a toddler , it had it good points but she didn't babysit him often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel guilty sometimes about all the babysitting.....but then I remember I won't be here much longer to enjoy it so I manage to beat down those feelings somehow.

      Delete
  6. What I wouldn't give to have my parents closer! And what a great idea. When we put our swings up (when we move and have the room) I might try that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow with a cuppa in the warm sun swing pushing time is not such a hardship! The rope is coming with us so I can enjoy my late breakfast outside each day while Lolly is happily occupied. Thanks for commenting xx

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you have it all sorted. I really like yr writing style. Quirky and spontaneous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Love it! Looks like a win-win situation for everybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the fun doesn't stop with one either! When cousins are over, Teta rigs up multiple ropes so that no-one misses out

      Delete
  9. Teta is a bona fide genius and should patent that idea. All the parents and grandparents around the world would pay through the nose for a solution to swing pusher's back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lebonese thing - Somewhere I have a picture of my SIL in lebanon sitting on a dining chair that has been suspended to the roof as a makeshift swing. Must dig it out somewhere

      Delete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!