Friday, January 4, 2013

It's not stalking if its your own child right?

Madeleine made plans with her friends yesterday. To meet up and see a movie at the local Westfield. Without me.

She starts high school in a few weeks, and suddenly she wants to go to the movies without me. I handed over the prepaid vouchers we had set aside for Hoyts, and talked her through how to make the purchase. I'm only just realising I've never really let her buy anything on her own, I've always been there to orchestrate the purchase. I was a little surprised to notice the other kids she was meeting up with stroll into the cinema's without their parents, and quickly evaporated so I wouldn't embarrass her.

But I stood behind a pole out in the Westfields where I could see her to make sure she had no problems buying a ticket and entering the theatre. I checked the other poles for more lurking parents but apparently I was the only one with separation anxiety. Turns out she doesn't need me to buy the ticket for her.

90 minutes later I hadn't been able to bring myself to leave the Westfields, but I at least managed to not stake out the Hoyts exit the entire time. I parked myself back at my designated pickup point to wait and saw my big girl emerge laughing with her friends. No problems. The other kids all wandered out to the street texting parents to pick them up. I was terrified Maddy would slip past me into the Westfields and get lost but these kids wander around out the public street and wait for their parents.

I'm going to have to find some comfort zone for these playdates or I suspect I will be stuck lurking in shopping centres for alot of these school holidays going by the rate of text messages rolling into Maddy's phone this afternoon.

Oh. And apparently I'm not allowed to call it a playdate anymore. She's just hanging out.

Anybody else's kids growing up way too fast? 


13 comments:

  1. On I'm yet to reach this stage with my eldest who will be 10 this year. I think I'd be stalking like you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came on overnight Jess, one day I had a little girl, the next day she is all grown

      Delete
  2. Not at that stage yet, but I'm dreading it. I am more of a submarine parent (the antithesis of a helicopter parent) but I don't really see myself not pacing the car-park waiting for my daughter(s) to come out. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... Miss 11 went to Woodford Folk Festival without me! Okay so had her grandfather... but SERIOUSLY? I gave my father a serious lecture about looking after 11 yo girls and not letting her leave his side. Except to shower and go to the loo. *sigh*
    It's not stalking if I only asked 7 of my friends to keep an eye out for her... is it???
    So hugs! I sure get it hon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so scary! Some kids are so grown up already at the same age, but I'm just not ready. Good to hear I am not alone

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! "Hanging out"! But looking at that photo, it seems you're raising a very confident young lady there.
    I will be doing exactly the same thing as you but will probably stake out in front of the cinema. I'm going to be the totally embarrassing mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all set to actually go to the movie Grace! I didn't realise the other parents were doing the drop and run thing

      Delete
  5. Oh! Growing up! I have an almost three year old and can't even imagine this grown up stage. My time will come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful I still have babies at home, if I only had my big girl getting all grownup on me I think I'd be crying. Snuggle your 3 year old tight while he/she still lets you!

      Delete
  6. That is really funny, I'm freaking out about my No.1 starting Prep this year, to me she is still the wee cherub who always stubbed her toe!
    But I can guarantee I'll be a super stalker once my kids get older
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting prep! Thats a huge milestone, make sure you video tape her talking about what she is looking forward to on her first day. We look back at that first tape and we love it so much. Maddy doesn't know it but we are going to make her do it for the first day of high school too

      Delete
  7. Ahahaha "I checked the other poles for more lurking parents" - hilarious!
    My kids aren't even in primary school yet but I KNOW I'll be that Mum. In fact, I may even be sitting in the corner at the cinema ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been that mum! That transition period is really tough - trying to work out if they really are ready for something, even though they think they are and you're a little scared inside :) Good luck with the start of high school. You might find some handy articles and sympathetic mums over at my site :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!