Friday, December 21, 2012

Mum....I'm Bored

Maddy has been on holidays since the first week of December. And I have heard those words more times than I can count already.


The first time, I waited a few minutes and then I set her the task of emptying the dishwasher. Job got done, and she settled down to watching a movie.

Later the same day, when she wandered aimlessly through the lounge room claiming she had nothing to do, I got her to sort some laundry. Hehe.

Over the days that have passed, she has had so many chores assigned to her each time she looks vaguely bored. It's awesome. Everything is getting done, and so far she hasn't twigged.

But each time she has completed a chore, she suddenly finds something interesting to do afterwards. A puzzle, a previously abandoned craft activity, playing with her little sister, not to mention all the screen based distractions she owns.

I think it's a self preservation instinct that kids are born with. She may not have made the connection between boredom and housework consciously, but she definitely stops nagging me after a chore.

I'm wondering if I can get the windows washed this weekend if she's bored enough.

It's not really child labour is it? 


10 comments:

  1. bookmarked!!, I love your web site!
    My web page: twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that's not child labour at all - that's called finding a cure for boredom! Good job, I say ;)
    Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too. Thanks for coming by

      Delete
  3. She looks so grown up in that first picture. Its the best way to tackle bordom make them clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over how much she has grown up in just a few months. The end of primary school has been very upsetting for me!

      Delete
  4. If you run out of jobs, could you send her over to my house??? I think it's great for kids to do jobs, even though it still means I have to supervise them so they do actually eventually learn to do things well - or well enough anyway. Can't wait to outsource all the shopping and cooking! Hope you enjoy a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the supervision - its not always the way I like it but I consider her an apprentice! Merry Christmas xx

      Delete
  5. Haha! Love it! Window cleaning, vacuuming, dusting...they all sound perfect "activities" to me! If they stop the boredom, who's to complain? :)
    Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to slip in sweeping the veranda today! I keep waiting for her to catch on. Have a safe and wonderful Christmas :)

      Delete
  6. Haha! That's a great idea to give her some house chores to do if she's bored! Best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!