Monday, November 21, 2011

Redundant or not redundant, thats the question

I'm still reeling from the shock of it. No, not me, I'm not redundant. But my skip level boss is. Suddenly I do not feel like this is a good time to be on maternity leave. In fact, half of me would give my babies first steps to be back in the office where I could feel more in control of the situation, but the other half is a little relieved to not be involved in the office politics of it all. Been there, done that, and its a challenging time to be a people leader.
My very large national company bought another very large national company earlier this year. And it was stated from the very beginning that wherever there was duplication, jobs would be going.
But I smugly assumed that safe in the banking sector where there is no duplication in our new acquisition that I was immune from the effects.
I shouldn't have assumed anything.
At the end of the day, I am not a call centre employee. I am not a processor. I am a people leader, and I can lead any team, anywhere, regardless of their, or my, speciality (banking). And so can my colleagues. This means that my role is fair game to any people leader with talent, which puts me just as much in the firing line as anyone else.
My skip level manager is one of the most brilliant and capable women that I know. My time working for her directly and indirectly has been a huge growth period for me, and I am devastated to know that she is going. But the punch in the face is, if someone as successful and good at her role as she was can be made redundant, than so can I.
The decisions about my level will be announced in March 2012. There is still one more layer to go before me. I don't know what my level will look like, or if redundancies are on the cards. But I hate that I am due back at work in February, right at a time when no-one will know what to do with me.
I feel scared that being on maternity leave will make me less valuable to my company. I feel scared that I am not forming relationships with the new management at this time. Most of all, I feel scared that personal change might be forced on me.
Have you been here before? Do you have any advice for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!