Monday, November 28, 2011

12 for 2012

Update 30/03/2014. I have been contacted by Life Insurance Finder who appear to regret asking sites to link to them for this competition. Their email was along the lines of "Thanks, but no Thanks, " and does not really acknowledge that they specifically requested that I paste the above paragraph and links in order to enter their competition. Apparently when Google slaps a penalty for link scamming practices, manners go out the window. All links have been removed as requested.

This is a post that I was not planning on writing until closer to the New Year. But me being me, my 2012 budget and goals are already in place, and this fantastical little competition over at Givemebackmyfivebucks has definitely encouraged me to get it written early.
I like to set myself short and long term financial goals. It helps me keep my focus, and it quantifies for me why we are a 2 working parent household. I've shared before a little about our priorities, so I won't revisit that. Instead, I will share my Financial Bucket list goals.

12 for 2012

Get a blockout shutter for Lolly's bedroom window. Besides her room getting all of the afternoon summer sun making it unbearably hot, it is also bright, and I am plain old paranoid about my kids windows being exposed. All other bedrooms have shutters on them but her room was the library before she was born. Until we get a shutter, she is sleeping in our room.
Save $3,000 towards next major holiday. We loved our big fat America Dream Holiday, and now we are looking at Europe when Lolly is old enough to remember it too. Maybe something a little closer to home in the meantime like Fiji or Thailand.
Pay $5,000 extra off the home loan. A little equity can only help with the bigger plan to get an investment property in a few years time.
Contribute $50 extra per fortnight to Husbands superannuation. Although Super is not my only plan for a retirement income, theres no mistaking the fact that I have nearly 3 times as much in my account.
Reassess Superannuation providers for Husband. I know I can get some kind of family deal through my own super which is with my work. I need to finally get my head down and do some comparisons on performance and fee's.
Replace carpet in all living area's with floorboards. It was never good quality to begin with, and 8 years on its looking pretty nasty. And Lolly has turned out to be hugely refluxy, which is not helping.
Create SuperWardrobe. Yes, that's one word, because that's how I hear it in my head.
Makeover Miss M's bedroom. She is more than a little jealous of her sisters bedroom, and I guess she is starting to grow out of her colours and themes that I set up 8 years ago now.
Take 3 away from home holidays with the kids.
Get health insurance finally. Yes. I am 30, Husband is 36 and we do not have insurance. Smack me around and call me stupid but I will rectify this situation as soon as I get back to work in February since I can salary sacrifice it.
Get a new bedroom suite. We bought a spanky new mattress late last year because my pregnancy back could not handle our 10 year old $99 queen mattress anymore. While I still have sleeping problems, I had no idea how much of it was from the mattress as I am getting at least 2 more hours sleep at night than I used to.
It seems like only yesterday I sent
her off to school in an oversized
dress. Now I will soon be sending
her again again in an  oversized
 dress lol.
Save $1000 towards Miss M's 2013 High School costs. *Sniff* My sweet baby will start high school in 2013, and along with that will come all new complete uniform costs, stationary and book packs, bags, we like to buy her a small laptop for next Christmas to help with Homework in the library after school etc etc.

All of this is a little ambitious so far for my 2012 budget. But since I haven't factored in payrises, bonus's or tax returns, I feel good about these goals. I will be posting a link to them on my top menu bar so that I can update them regularly and keep myself in check.
I find that if I do not set clear goals each year, it is easy for the year to slip by and to not feel like I have accomplished what I would like to with my family. I really encourage everyone to set their goals and keep your eye on the prize. And with the "$500 Give Me Back My Five Bucks competition, sponsored by Life Insurance Finder, the life insurance experts" running, now is a good time for YOU to be thinking about these things too.

Whats your big goal for 2012? Travel? Time with the kids? Major debt surgery? Do share, I'd love to know.

Update 30/03/2014. I have been contacted by Life Insurance Finder who appear to regret asking sites to link to them for this competition. Their email was along the lines of "Thanks, but no Thanks, " and does not really acknowledge that they specifically requested that I paste the above paragraph and links in order to enter their competition. Apparently when Google slaps a penalty for link scamming practices, manners go out the window. All links have been removed as requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. They make my day even if you only say Hi!